[Ffmpeg-devel] List of non-thread safe functions

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Feb 9 22:12:45 CET 2007

Hi

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 09:45:45PM +0200, Stas Oskin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> >you can of course not run 2 av_set_parameters() with the same context at
> >the same time or run av_set_parameters() while some other code uses the
> >context
>
> Point is, that I'm using a separate context (and encoder, and stream,
> etc...) per each thread, and still regularly receive -1 errors both
> >from av_codec_open() and av_write_frame().

av_codec_open() needs a GLOBAL mutex, you cannot run 2 av_codec_open() at
the same time not even with seperate contexts
av_codec_open() initalizes various tables which are shared between codec
instances

[...]

> >feel free to send a patch which adds detailed
> >thread safety information as doxygen comments to the functions ...
>
> I will, when these errors will be resolved and I get it working reliably.

thanks

If you really think that XML is the answer, then you definitly missunderstood
the question -- Attila Kinali