[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] dlopen vs linking for external libraries

Måns Rullgård mans
Sun Feb 11 22:02:54 CET 2007

Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> writes:

> On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 20:16 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> writes:
>> > present. They don't cause problems with proper binary packaging systems
>> > either (such as Debian) when the system can take care of the
>> > dependencies. The only problem case would be trying to distribute
>> > binaries without proper packaging.
>>
>> I think Michael was complaining about the endless lists of
>> dependencies that are typical for binary packages.  Most distros tend
>> to enable everything that can possibly be enabled, so you end up with
>> many gigabytes of disk space taken up by stuff you never ever use.
>
> On this Debian system /usr/lib is less than a gigabyte and the
> whole /usr is about 2.1 GiB. That includes things like OpenOffice.
> Ending up with "many gigabytes" of space taken by unnecessary
> dependencies alone sounds highly exaggerated.

What about /usr/kde?  Yes, they've started installing there, maybe
because they think they're so important that they need a whole new
directory hierarchy for themselves, or maybe so you won't find it when
checking the size of /usr/lib.  I don't know which it is, and I don't
really care to find out.  It's not finding its way onto my system
whatever the answer is.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com