[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] dlopen vs linking for external libraries

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Mon Feb 12 05:45:01 CET 2007

Uoti Urpala wrote:

> What I do claim is:
> 1. Moving possible package dependencies to dlopen() when they're not
> necessary for every user would be a net loss for binary distributions,
> with some (rare) exceptions for huge libraries.

check sdl and X11...

> If the dlopen() features do not interfere with other code then I have
> nothing against keeping the option to use them in FFmpeg. But that does
> not imply that distros should prefer them over dynamic linking.

won't change anything... you put the same deplist, you end up with the
same stuff... (but it could break less with dlopen if you mess with the
libraries since ffmpeg would still work to a degree and would not
completely broken because you mismanaged faad or something like that)

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC