[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] dlopen vs linking for external libraries

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Mon Feb 12 07:06:29 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 05:45 +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > 1. Moving possible package dependencies to dlopen() when they're not
> > necessary for every user would be a net loss for binary distributions,
> > with some (rare) exceptions for huge libraries.

> check sdl and X11...

Check what about them?

> > If the dlopen() features do not interfere with other code then I have
> > nothing against keeping the option to use them in FFmpeg. But that does
> > not imply that distros should prefer them over dynamic linking.
>
> won't change anything... you put the same deplist, you end up with the
> same stuff... (but it could break less with dlopen if you mess with the

Of course that would not gain anything either. And I'm not so confident
you would always end up with the same behavior. Getting "the same
deplist" (both for package dependencies and at runtime) is not quite
obvious. Assuming you manage that I still wouldn't count on the end
result being the same for every order of loading the libraries etc. And
there would be at least some differences in any case (can't see the
dependencies from the binaries themselves easily, can't prelink them).