[Ffmpeg-devel] Degraded G.726 quality with pops and clicks

Brain Lai brainlai
Mon Feb 12 10:09:30 CET 2007

Dear all:

When streaming G.726 24/32Kbps with VLC, I found the quality is degraded and
unacceptable compared to AWave studio(play the saved audio bitstream).

For G.726 24Kbps, the sound is filled wih pops and clicks.
For G.726 32Kbps, a young man sounds like an old one.

The audio is encoded by ITU reference implementation.
It has no problem if the audio is decoded by ITU reference implementation
and played by AWave studio/Adobe Audition.

I know VLC decodes media with FFMpeg library, so I ask here for help. Does
it result from ffmpeg's G.726 decoder(G.711 is no problem)? What's the
difference of G.726 decoding process between ffmpeg and the ITU reference
implementation?

Regards
Brain Lai