[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Can not play a YUV file using ffplay

Michel Bardiaux mbardiaux
Mon Feb 12 17:30:10 CET 2007

Bo Liu wrote:
[snip]
> thanks for your information.
> which encoder you used to make the 264 file? x.264?
> please give me more details.
> do we have to make the command line more specific, such as './ffplay -x 352
> -y 288 test.264' in order to control the display perfprmance?

I suggest you move the x264-related question to a new thread.

> by the way, I have compiled the whole ffmpeg project using the fixed
> ffplay.c in SVN source tree, but still I couldn't play the yuv file. errors
> are as follows:
>
> picture size invalid (0x0)
> [rawvideo at 0x8376db0]Could not find codec parameters( Video: rawvideo,
> yuv420p)
> test.yuv: could not find codec parameters
>
> the comman line I use is :   ./ffplay -f rawvideo -x 176 -y 144 test.yuv
>
> have you ever tried the rawvideo file?

Think about it. What is a yuv file? Rawvideo, without any adornment.
Hence, no way for ffplay to guess the image size. And 'ffplay -h' would
show you that there is no way to give the info to ffplay either, -x
being the *displayed* width. So, you cant play a raw yuv with ffplay.
But you could use ffmpeg to mux the yuv in an avi.

--
Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
E mailto:mbardiaux at mediaxim.be