[Ffmpeg-devel] WMA encoding and Windows Media Player for Mac OS X

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Feb 13 00:34:32 CET 2007

Hi

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 11:29:45PM +0000, Patrice Bensoussan wrote:

> On 8 Feb 2007, at 23:05, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 10:37:54PM +0000, Patrice Bensoussan wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>All the files encoded by ffmpeg in wma (using wmav1 or wmav2) will
> >>open in Windows Media Player for Mac OS X, but you don't hear
> >>anything (it only plays silence). The same file seems to play
> >>correctly with mplayer or QuickTime with the Flip4Mac codec. Any idea
> >>what could be wrong in the encoding which would cause Windows Media
> >>Player for Mac OS X to play only silence? The information window in
> >>Windows Media player on a converted file shows:
> >>
> >>audio codec unknown
> >>video codec wmav1
> >>
> >>Am I missing an option, or is this a known bug in ffmpeg?
> >>Thanks,
> >
> >hmmmm :(
> >does it work if you mux into .avi ?
>
> Believe it or not, Windows Media Player doesn't play .avi files on
> Mac ;-)
>
> >does it work if you -acodec copy a working wma into .asf ?
>
> No, same problem. The interesting thing is when doing this, the
> original file shows:
>
> Length: 00:35
> Bit Rate: 160 Kbps
> Media Type: Audio
> Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio V8
> Video Codec: Unknown
>
> whereas the .asf generated with -acodec copy shows:
>
> Length: 00:34
> Bit Rate: 160 Kbps
> Media Type: Audio
> Audio Codec: Unknown
> Video Codec: wmav2
>
> So the codec info is stored at the wrong place it seems? (video
> instead of audio) Not sure this is related though.

ive changed a few things in the asf muxer, please retry and report if theres
any improvment (or other change)

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. -- Aristotle