[Ffmpeg-devel] Code statistics

Måns Rullgård mans
Fri Feb 16 00:23:07 CET 2007

A discussion arose on IRC over whether the French are actually good
for anything, and someone pointed out that FFmpeg was started by a
Frenchman.  This made me wonder just how much French code there is in
FFmpeg.

By torturing the SVN server with running svn blame on every C file,
I've compiled this list showing how many lines of code in r7991 are
committed by different people, merging those I know to be aliases for
the same person:

 101465 michael
  44340 bellard
  36612 diego
  17246 melanson
  12428 tmmm
  11950 kostya
   8032 alex
   7228 lorenm
   5948 rtognimp
   5190 bcoudurier
   4864 gpoirier
   4181 mru
   4069 kabi
   3982 romansh
   3824 aurel
   2791 philipjsg
   2236 ods15
   2167 lu_zero
   2141 reimar
   1387 nickols_k
   1269 mmu_man
   1196 banan
   1159 mellum
   1055 stefang
    838 corey
    802 lucabe
    775 iive
    744 arpi
    691 takis
    595 pulento
    509 al
    215 arpi
    194 reynaldo
     93 jbr
     81 mbardiaux
     68 nicodvb
     67 hzoli
     51 rtogni
     20 henry
     10 uid46427
     10 rfelker
      9 rathann
      5 faust3
      3 pl
      2 colin
      1 ivo

For the curious, the single line owned by "ivo" is this one:

./libavutil/md5.h:31:void av_md5_sum(uint8_t *dst, const uint8_t *src, const int len);

This is still more creative than the two lines by "colin":

./libpostproc/postprocess_template.c:2539:{
./libpostproc/postprocess_template.c:2639:}

Back to the original question, sorting people by country as best I
can, I arrive at this list (apologies if I got someone's nationality
wrong):

 101465 Austria
  59568 France
  40967 Germany
  24484 USA
  18053 ?
  12845 Hungary
  11950 Ukraine
   9036 Italy
   5377 Sweden
   5369 Russia
   2236 Israel
    775 Bulgaria
    194 Chile
      9 Poland

I think it is safe to say that FFmpeg is not all that French these
days.  The German-speaking influence is, on the other hand, quite
strong.

Enjoy, for what it's worth.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd