[Ffmpeg-devel] Ffplay: streaming in ogg and asf container broken

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje
Sun Feb 18 02:55:01 CET 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-18, Klaas-Pieter Vlieg wrote:
> With the recent versions of ffmpeg I can not play mpeg4/mp3 streams in asf and ogg container via http.
> At least until july '06 this was possible. My client is ffplay (windows & linux) and vlc is server.
>
> Asf streams quit immediate with an open file error. Ogg streams eventually segfault in ogg_read_page() (ogg2.c) after av_malloc() has failed.

Ogg tries to index the stream endlessly, which obviously eats your mem
and takes forever, since it has no end.

As for asf, it's probably something similarly braindead. The solution is
to introduce a new is_network_stream tag or so and use that (instead of
is_stream) to decide whether to index or not. A hack for now is to set
is_stream to 1 and not index in ogg for network streams, but that breaks
seeking.

Ronald