[Ffmpeg-devel] Ambisonic decoder

Alex Beregszaszi alex
Sat Feb 24 18:51:47 CET 2007

Hi,

> About one month ago I started a research on how to encode a full
> surround sound track of a movie into 128 kbps. Currently, soundtracks
> of this bitrate are encoded in stereo using either mp3 or ac3 or aac.
> There were then two issues here: a better sound compressor and channel
> coupling. Finally I have chosen Ogg Vorbis and Ambisonics, and they
> show such a well compressed, surround sound track can be done and then
> played back with mplayer (-af pan). The encoder is already done and
> can be taken from http://www.ambisonicbootlegs.net/Members/qduaty.

Actually that means you only need to write two filters:
ambisonic_encoder and ambsonic_decoder. Every sane compressor should
work on the preprocessed data.

Is there a standard ambisonic audio format + codec which is preferred by
the authors of it? Or it just uses pcm+wav?

If there are such files, please upload them to the samples collection.

--
Alex Beregszaszi