[Ffmpeg-devel] spatial scalability in ffmpeg

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Feb 27 02:00:54 CET 2007

Hi

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 06:20:17PM -0500, Luxman Suthanthirarajah wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I am new to the mailing list and ffmpeg. As a final year project at Carleton
> University I have undertaken the task of coding in the ffmpeg application on
> Linux OS.
>
> I wish to implement an algorithm of spatial scalability in ffmpeg and test
> its effectiveness when using Wavelet transform. However, I have found that
> ffmpeg has a "spatial scalability" variable in structure snowContext and
> many compose/decompose functions in the snow.c file. I am unsure how the
> variable is used to produce a scalable bitstream. I put some "av_log"
> statements in the bitstream.c file but they are not printing. Also, I am
> unaware if there are any configuration setting that need to be selected to
> turn the existing scalability functionality on. I would appreciate any
> direction on this subject. Thank you.

well if you search for spatial_scalability in the file you will notice that
the variable is always 0 and just stored and read but otherwise unused
also you can look at /doc/snow.txt which also says its 0
so no there is no spatial scalability support in snow currently

the reason why your av_log doesnt print is likely due to the debug level
used in it and the verbosity selected by -v, you should in general look
at the source code of the functions which doent behave the way you expect
them to ...

if you want to add spatial scalability support similar to how -lowres
works in mpeg1/mpeg2/mpeg4 to snow that is surely welcome and should be
relatively easy in principle one possible encoder side change would be
* add pointers (to the end of each frame!) which point to the begin of the
  2 chroma planes and reset the ac coder after each plane, that way you
  should be able to skip decoding of the high frequency coefficients during
  decoding

besides that you simply have to make the decoder work with smaller blocks
in motion compensation use a smaller frame buffer and skip the high frequency
decoding

another interrestig feature is to have a full sized frame buffer but skip
the high frequency coeffs if there is not enough cpu time available to
decode in realtime otherwise

PS: improvements to doc/snow.txt are also very welcome

Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into
despotisms. -- Aristotle