[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] dlopen vs linking for external libraries

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Tue Feb 27 02:59:59 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 17:15 -0800, Roman Shaposhnick wrote:
>   The problem is -- dynamic linking just doesn't scale. And anybody
> who disagrees with it should take a look at any application that
> has to work across different distributions to see that these guys
> have to lug around things like private versions of glib and the
> fact that these private versions are .so's hardly makes any difference
> because for all I care the application could've been statically
> compiled with the same net effect. Yes dynamic linking seemed like
> a good idea at the time, but the realities of software engineering
> killed it and worst of it is -- nobody is willing to admin that
> its dead.

Yes there's no common standard between all the distros, and you have to
use all kinds of kludges if you insist on using a single binary on all
of them. So exactly what are you arguing for here? That the distros
should use the same level of kludginess internally?