[Ffmpeg-devel] About LGPL for commercial product

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Tue Feb 27 10:43:26 CET 2007

osman osman wrote:
> Dear
> I want to use ffmpeg in my closed source commercial product.
> Is it possible with LGPL license?

Read the rules, in short, as long you do not modify the library but just
link (dynamically) to it, you can without any constraint but the usual
ones you have when distributing the library alone.

See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html for all the details

Keep in mind that certain parts of ffmpeg are GPL so you must not
distribute your work with an ffmpeg built with the --enable-gpl option

> ?f it is, Who can give information about the subject and price?

About the price, well, donations are surely accepted, but you cannot buy
an exemption to the LGPL and you won't need it anyway.

I hope it helps and I hadn't been misleading with this short summary.

lu