[Ffmpeg-devel] [RFC] dlopen vs linking for external libraries

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Feb 27 13:45:35 CET 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 12:18:07PM -0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

> Diego Biurrun said:

> >> It's also funny that they assume "taking over the Desktop" is the primary goal.
> >
> > Since it is a worthy goal it's a very good lure to make others accept
> > your arguments behind its disguise ...
>
> I gain nothing even if my software is used on every computer on the planet.
> I write whatever code I need myself, and when it suits my own personal needs,
> I'm satisfied.  A lot of what I write, I also release for others to use, should
> anyone find it useful.  That's all.  I don't care if it ends up being used by
> one person or by a million.  Sure, it's always fun if it does get widely used.
> That minor satisfaction is still not something I will make compromises of any
> kind to achieve.
>
> I work on FFmpeg because I want to use it, and coding it all myself is too
> large a task.  By contributing some pieces, I allow other developer to spend
> time more time on their parts.  A compromise on my part may pay off as a new
> codec from another contributor, something I can benefit from.  Compromising
> to cater for needs of non-developers will give me nothing in return.
>
> Trying to bait me with more users simply will not work.  If you want something
> from me, you'll have to give something in return, be it code or money.

It's not that simple.  Being widely used creates what you can call
"vertical markets" in the sense that more developers can get attracted
or some people might be willing to fund development, conference visits
and similar things.

Diego