[Ffmpeg-devel] Usabillity of RTP protocol

Ryan Martell rdm4
Thu Jan 11 19:39:58 CET 2007

Hi Martin...
On Jan 10, 2007, at 10:12 AM, Martin Renwanz wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm currently involved in using libavformat / libavcodec for a program
> that is supposed to decode an audio file and stream it to a specified
> destination.

ffplay can open an rtp destination and play a stream from there, but
it doesn't support streaming to somewhere else.  Basic support for
this is there (and check out ffserver), but I don't think it's been
worked on for quite a while.

> I've done quite some reading about the library, and I've found that
> libavformat supports RTP - (libavformat/rtp.c, rtpproto.c, etc) which
> should do the job.
> But (I believe I've read it in the SVN Changelog) I also read that the
> support is preliminary...
>
> What's the status of this? Is it usable ? If yes, how ?
> Any help is appreciated...

if ffplay is built with CONFIG_NETWORK enabled, just something like:

./ffplay rtsp://host/path_to_sdp_file might work.

Your mileage may vary, depending on codecs.

Good luck.
-Ryan