[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: [Ffmpeg-cvslog] r7573 - trunk/libavutil/fifo.c

Roman Shaposhnik rvs
Fri Jan 19 04:27:38 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 01:19 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> >   It seems to be doing it in this particular case. I guess I was more
> > concerned about other compilers, but then again, making it
> > "extern inline" doesn't guarantee anything, anyway.
>
> I somehow suspect you might know how at least one of those "other
> compilers" handles such cases...

  Well for that other compiler there's an additional opportunity
for inling the "extern inlines" across the modules if you happen
to give all of the .o's to it (and not to the linker!) at once.
But given that we are still the only ones doing it reliably making
anything "extern inline" will not buy you much with other
compilers (inline is a bit like register -- smart compilers don't
need it, and stupid ones don't pay any attention to it anyway).

Thanks,
Roman.