[Ffmpeg-devel] network include files for MinGW

Måns Rullgård mru
Wed Jan 24 22:28:37 CET 2007

"Fran?ois Revol" <revol at free.fr> writes:

>> ramiro at lisha.ufsc.br writes:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > MinGW doesn't have some include files used in networking such as
>> > arpa/inet.h.
>> >
>> > What's the preferable way of going around this?
>> > - #ifdef in each file with these includes
>> > - make a network.h file with the #ifdefs inside it, and every
>> > network file
>> > should include it
>> > - make configure generate dummy include files for MinGW builds
>>
>> I prefer option #2.  The fewer #ifdefs, the better.
>
> I actually removed the #ifdefs __BEOS__ for arpa/inet.h just a week ago
> :D
> What I thought about instead was to have fake headers instead. For BeOS
> only arpa/inet.h is missing (and only for R5 actually), so it wouldn't
> be too hard.
> How many are missing for MinGW ?
>
> What we could do is have a platform/ folder (or support/ or compat/ or
> whatever) with folders for platforms needing headers.
> For ex:
>
> platform/beosr5/arpa/inet.h
> platform/mingw/arpa/inet.h
> platform/mingw/whatever.h
>
> and configure would just add -Iplatform/$platform/ to CFLAGS.

Having header files with names intentionally the same as system header
files is a bad idea.  It will only lead to trouble sooner or later.

> We could also just use a single header like os_support.h for the
> network.

The proper solution is for the configure script to check which headers
are present.  Workarounds can then  be provided for the specific
features that are missing from the target system.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mru at inprovide.com