[FFmpeg-devel] Transcoding using FFmpeg

www.whu www.whu
Mon Jul 2 05:29:59 CEST 2007

Hi All!
I am a gradute student who is working on digtial video transcoding.
I have found that FFmpeg is a powerful transcoding tool. So I decide to build my
transcoding project on the basis of  it.
But I got some problems.
1. I am not familiar with coding on  Linux. I spent lots of time on Windows
IDE like Visual C++/ Turbo C etc. So I got confused when I unpacked the
whole stuff.
I want to know if you use an IDE such as Eclipse or you just coding the project
in the terminal using an edtior like VI.

Any advice will be very appreciated.

2. Libavcodec contains a lot of codecs. I want to modify them and add my own property.
For example: Transcoding from MPEG2 to MPEG4.
I have to extract motion vectors from the MPEG2 code stream and then put them into MPEG4
code stream. However, MPEG2 and MPEG4 are different coding standards, so simply reusing
motion vectors will cause a lot problems.
And also, I think analysing libavcodec is a very hard job.
Is there any document about libavcodec?

3. Transcoding in FFmpeg is performed as  decoding then encoding. The computational
complexity is very high compared with the partly decoding then partly encoding procedure.
So do you want to add this feature to FFmpeg?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,

Hu

www.whu