[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg source code is no longer C99 because of GNUism called case ranges

Roman Shaposhnik rvs
Fri Jul 6 05:35:20 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 08:19 +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> >> Why the new variable?  The logic looks correct though.
> >
> >   As a precaution and cosmetics. Precaution against stupid compilers,
>
> Please elaborate.  I thought your compilers were supposed to be good ;-)

  Mine generally is ;-) Anyway, the point is now moot, since as you
rightfully pointed out there's no need for extra masking in each
individual 'if'.

> > cosmetics because:
> >         if (b == ....)
> > looks nicer (IMHO) than:
> >         if ((temp_buffer & 0xffffff00) == ...)
>
> You don't need the mask.  It's enough to do
>
>     if (temp_buffer == ...)
>     else if (temp_buffer < 0x120)
>
> You've already determined that the high 23 bits are all zero.

  That is absolutely correct and I do apologize for this brain fart
of mine.

Thanks,
Roman.