[FFmpeg-devel] hardware aided video decoding

Attila Kinali attila
Fri Jul 6 09:45:26 CEST 2007

Moin,

In view of the slowly progressing open graphics project[1]
I wanted to ask how the people here would accelerate video
decoding with help of the graphics card. Respectively,
what functions would you expect the graphics card to have
to help FFmpeg/lavc to decode video.

The system should mostly work with MPEG-1/2/4, H.264 and V-C1,
but should be generic enough to be able to support future
codec systems.

Yes, i had a look at the few hardware h.264 decoders around,
but those seem all to be build around a CPU or DSP core with
a few additional special instructions needed for decoding.

Thanks in advance

			Attila Kinali

[1] www.opengraphics.org

                         -- Deed of Morred