[FFmpeg-devel] some licensing issues

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jul 12 04:11:45 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 02:27:15AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 02:41:43PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> > > That's interesting to hear.
> > >
> > > I'm still of the opinion that our license headers should be complete
> > > consistent and as identical as possible so as not to create confusion or
> > > doubt.  Thus I'll remove this text from the few headers where we have it
> > > unless somebody objects.
> >
> > as i said, you should ask the authors before changing the license
> > headers, likely they will be fine with the change but if not you will not
> > change them
> >
> > iam cc-ing this to walken
>
> I've just committed the changes to the libavcodec headers, but rereading
> what you wrote above I may have misinterpreted your statement.  Did you
> mean (just) the headers originating from mpeg2dec or the ones in
> libavcodec as well?

IANAL so i do not know what we can change without the authors agreement.
personally i would have left all license headers as is, and never ever
changed them, no address of the FSF or anything unless it was explicitly
allowed by the license ("or later version" clause)

you seem to like cleaning the licenses up and i dont mind if its ok to do

i just dont know if its ok as IANAL. if i try to compare this to real paper
contracts then i have a very bad feeling though

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad
people will find a way around the laws. -- Plato