[FFmpeg-devel] PATCH: COOK audio decode infastructure to support fixpoint optimization

Marc Hoffman mmhoffm
Sun Jul 15 22:55:52 CEST 2007

On 7/15/07, Benjamin Larsson <banan at ludd.ltu.se> wrote:

> Marc Hoffman wrote:
> >> Ok, I don't know if this is the best way to do it, but I'll assume it
> is
> >> for now.

Ok now that we have decided on 32bit representation. I guess we need to
eliminate the f_sample_size and just let the assumption that float is always
32 bits.  BTW is this always true?  I think for the class of machines we are
talking about this is the case but we might want to use this on other
machines as well.  I will adjust the code to remove q->f_sample_size and use
sizeof (vec_t), where vec_t will be uint32_t if that makes it simpler.
Please make a better suggestion if you have a better idea.

>>> I will then add a set of overloaded primitives to the existing
> >> No chance for a LGPL license ? And if you need a reference fp fft to
> >> look at use this:
> >

> > LGPL thats what I meant .
>
> Ok, nice. And if you have the time implement a split radix version with
> 2, 3, 4 and 5 radixes. There will be a need for doing fft's with a size
> of 640 when the siren codec is added to ffmpeg.

Great! we would implement something like a 128 point followed by a 5 point
to get a 640 point system.  If thats what you mean by a fix radix.

[...]
> > I guess you might be correct. Initially I was thinking we might be able
> > use 16-bit ints to represent the signal and not 32-bits.  I'm still not
> sure
> > if the implementation requires the higher precision to be maintained
> does
> > anyone know if the algorithm requires the 24bits?
> >

> Well what I meant was that I don't think 16 bits is enough for the
> transform step to keep a good enough precision. So if 32 bits is needed
> in the transform step then why not use 32bits in all the calculations
> for simplicity.

You are correct, we have to have 32bits of precision. Do you think a 32x16
would work where the phase factors are 16 bits and the samples are 32 bit?
Computationally this is really the best for these low power low complexity
machines. I wrote both versions 32x32 and 32x16 we can use either and
measure the performance.

Marc