[FFmpeg-devel] some licensing issues

Michel Lespinasse walken
Mon Jul 16 11:08:11 CEST 2007

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 06:34:14PM +0200, Balatoni Denes wrote:
> Well IMHO you could remove the mlib yuv2rgb, as I will be sending a
> SPARC VIS version in a few days (it's the same speed and
> functionality as the mlib version, ~40% faster than the C
> version). However I would be glad if the mlib idct stayed, because
> it's faster and I don't see a native VIS idct coming anytime
> soon. Most of the other functions can be removed, as they already
> have native VIS alternative (some don't, but they are not too
> comlicated AFAICT, well it would be nice if they weren't removed
> though for now).

BTW a couple years back I corresponded with david miller about this,
this resulted in him writing some VIS MC code but the IDCT part never
got implemented. I have C code implementing IDCT using VIS-implementable
primitives (i.e. mostly the 8x16 parallel multiplies with crappy rounding).
It was a real pain to make it conform to IEEE1180 but we had gotten there.
Now if you'd feel like translating that into actual VIS code, that'd be
super sweet. I can dig up the C code if there is any chance this'd help.

I've never been a big fan of mlib.

--
Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
"Bill Gates is a monocle and a Persian cat away from being the villain