[FFmpeg-devel] lame buffer shortage

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Jul 24 00:42:43 CEST 2007

Hi

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 12:03:46AM +0200, Gabriel Bouvigne wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
> > yes, you speak about the case where future input is needed to encode the
> > next packet, this though has nothing to do with needing more output
> > space

> > lame does not do proper bitstream formating, it should just output
> > one packet at a time ...
> > every project which uses lame and which ive looked at the source has to
> > parse, break appart and reassemble what lame outputs
>
> Do you mean that you would prefer to have lame_encode_buffer returning
> either 0 or 1 frame, but not more at once?

yes

> In this case you would
> retrieve potential further frame by providing 0 samples to
> lame_encode_buffer, until it do not return any more output frames?

yes

also some applications might always feed frame_size samples in the
encoder (like they do currently) and either expect 0 or 1 frames
and then only at the very end try to get the remaining frames

> That would make sense, IMO.
>
> (actually I do not remember anyone complaining to us about the current
> behaviour)

well, it seems everyone works around issues if its easy possible instead
of reporting it, thats not the way it should be i agree ...

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf