[FFmpeg-devel] Fixpoint FFT optimization, with MDCT and IMDCT wrappers for audio optimization

Marc Hoffman mmhoffm
Sun Jul 29 13:39:48 CEST 2007

On 7/29/07, Trent Piepho <xyzzy at speakeasy.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Loren Merritt wrote:

> > > Come on this is trivial...
> >
> > Nonetheless, gcc 4.1.2 fails to make this optimization, even in cases much
> > more trivial than yours.
>
> For signed values, it's not a valid optimization, unless gcc is somehow
> supposed to know that it can't be negative.  Change it to unsigned and gcc
> will use shifting.
>
> I'd be tempted to try lgN-- before the first loop and change s to start at
> 0.  ws will be the same, but m will be 1/2 its previous value.  Now all the
> m/2 can be changed to just m, and k+=m becomes k+=m+m (which can be
> calculated in a single lea instruction, e.g. "lea (%[k],%[m],2), %[k]").
> Rather than worry about gcc turning the division into a shift, just get rid
> of the operation entirely.

Trent thanks I'm shocked gcc doesn't know the value is never negative
it actually knows everything about this particular variable.  But I
guess as Loren points out with the output of the compiler the signed
arithmetic is inefficient.