[FFmpeg-devel] foo -> libfoo changes

Ismail Dönmez ismail
Wed Jun 13 02:22:53 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 03:14:01 Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 01:03:20AM +0300, Ismail D?nmez wrote:
> > On Monday 11 June 2007 16:45:19 Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > iam also not strongly opposed to revert the renaming and put it back
> > > under #if LIBAVCODEC_VERSION_INT > X
> > > but iam not happy about this, and wont do any work related to it except
> > > reviewing a patch
> >
> > I don't understand what problem did actually foo->libfoo renaming solved.
> > As I said before there is no codec named libfaac or libmp3lame. The
> > change not only breaks existing behaviour but also doesn't make any
> > sense.
>
> plain codec names like "aac"/"vorbis" should be reserved for native
> implementations

Thats not a good idea. See below.

> > The case of multiple vorbis encoders would be better solved by giving the
> > native encoder another name.
> >
> > In the end you end up breaking lots of things then at least bump major so
> > version so that people will know something is changed.
>
> you can send a patch to workaround the change by making the codec_find
> stuff select the external lib if no internal is available

Native vorbis encoder is not even close to being usable at all (even Oded will
agree), so its not a good idea to default to native encoder. So,

Remove not-working vorbis encoder and not accept encoders that are below a
quality ration

or

Suffix native implementations by -native so everyone can be happy.

What do you think?

Regards,
ismail

--