[FFmpeg-devel] [BUG] Linking error when using Intel's compiler

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Thu Jun 14 20:20:04 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 18:23 +0200, Panagiotis Issaris wrote:
> It seems weird to me though, the symbol is being referenced from within
> the same file, and still... removing the static fixes the linking error.
> An ICC bug?

The symbol is only referenced from within inline asm, and the asm in
question does not declare its dependencies correctly. It should have an
input parameter for the table but doesn't. In this case the compiler
deletes the "unused" table completely. With gcc it compiles because of
the attribute_used hack, but that doesn't help with icc.

Similar issues were discussed on mplayer-dev-eng a couple of days ago.
The right fix would be to correctly declare the dependencies of the asm,
but Michael doesn't want to do that because old gcc versions could have
problems with it.