[FFmpeg-devel] MPEG-2 Acceleration Refactor

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml
Sun Jun 17 20:47:23 CEST 2007

Greg Hulands wrote:
> Here is an updated patch which fixes the cosmetic formatting. There
> was some existing function prototypes that weren't right either so I
> fixed them up as well.

I think you have a fundamental misconception about the whole cosmetics
issue. Hopefully I can clear that up before someone flames you. The
rules are deceptively simple:

1. If a patch changes the function of code, it must not make cosmetic
alterations.
2. If a patch makes cosmetic alterations, it must not change the
function of code.

Cosmetic changes are:
- changing indentation
- replacing tabs with spaces and vice versa
- adding/removing empty lines (unless adjacent to added/removed code)
- etc.

All this doesn't mean that nobody wants to commit cosmetic changes when
those changes make new code more readable. It just means that the
cosmetics belong in a separate patch, to be applied immediately after
the functional patch. Alternatively, you could promise to send a cleanup
patch when (if) the functional patch gets committed to SVN; that's
probably easier for a big patch.

-Corey