[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] bumping micro version on feature addition

Marc Hoffman mmh
Thu Jun 21 13:41:44 CEST 2007

On Jun 21, 2007, at 5:49 AM, Luca Barbato wrote:

> Since some people may like to tell it's users which ffmpeg you can use
> to build their program and "current svn" may be not sanest answer
> could
> be possible increasing the micro version every time a new feature is
> added? This way the configure checks could tell in a simpler way if it
> is ok and if it isn't.

Hi,

A couple of ideas:

 From the looks of the development that seems to mean a new number a
day every hour.  Unless we make the definition of a feature specific
to something.  I would think you want to couple a Re-visioning scheme
to Mikes validation effort some how.  Bump the revision if and only
if you pass some level of testing after some number of features have
been added.  Maybe you do this once a month for changing the revision
number.  And if we want we could keep track in the ChangeLog the SVN
# of new features so you know when they were introduced.

Marc