[FFmpeg-devel] how to modify the makefile

The Wanderer inverseparadox
Sat Jun 23 13:59:13 CEST 2007

ffmpeg dev wrote:

> hi; i am working on a ffmpeg project.I dont need all fmpeg source
> files.So i deleted the files and folders that i dont
> need(libavutil,libavcodec...) and modified the makefile . the
> makefile compiled successfully all the files but when linking i got
> many error: undefined reference to... could you tell me how to fix
> this on the makefile below.thx

For one thing, since you are not actually working on development of
FFmpeg itself (since there is more chance of a snowman coming back from
a year's vacation in the heart of the Sun than of this sort of change
being committed to the SVN repository!), this is a user question rather
than a development question.

For another:

> PROGS-$(CONFIG_FFMPEG)   += ffmpeg

Because you are trying to compile the 'ffmpeg' binary, you *do* need the
'libavcodec' and 'libavformat' and 'libavutil' directories. FFmpeg
depends on symbols defined in those libraries.

In order to get FFmpeg to build without libav*, you will need to modify
all source files which refer to functions or variables defined in those
directories, and remove or replace those references.

Doing so will effectively remove all functionality from FFmpeg, unless
you re-implement the behaviour of those functions in some other place.
If you really do want to engage in that big a project: good luck, but
please don't do it here.

(You appear to have also done reasonably insane things in other areas,
but I'm not even going to *try* to read the mess of the resulting
Makefile. Yeech.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.