[FFmpeg-devel] Snow development ad

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jun 28 23:59:32 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 11:06:47PM +0000, Lars T?uber wrote:
> Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
> > To be more explicit:
> >
> > in order to work with ffmpeg on sponsored efforts like SoC we asked
> > people to prove themselves with minor tasks to be quite sure they have
> > idea of what they are going to endeavor, some of us would expect that
> > this snow bounty would be on the same standard.
>

> If I understand this right, you mean there should be someone involved in ffmpeg who decides who gets which part of the money at which time.
> This was a question from me to Michael. But I didn't get an answer.

IMO, we should not send someone any money before they demonstrated that they
are capable to do the work, working on things related to LIGO is certainly
qualifying the person to other similar science stuff but video coding is
quite different from searching for gravitiy waves though both surely are
pretty cool

so IMO he should either do some qualification task similar to what we
required for SOC or work on snow first and get payed after he showed some
usefull results

I hate to see young programmers poisoned by the kind of thinking
Ulrich Drepper puts forward since it is simply too narrow -- Roman Shaposhnik