[Ffmpeg-devel] [BUG] DV in QuickTime - Aspect Ratio

Roman Shaposhnick rvs
Thu Mar 15 01:46:31 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 16:51 -0500, Brian Brice wrote:
> > if you set aperture mode to "clean"
> > and mode dimensions to "1"
> > then your .mov will be display as 16:9 with QTplayer > v7
> >
> > PS: the output (.mov) from ffmpeg is "simple", the aperture bit "clean"
> > does its job (=display an anamorphous file in square mode)
> > but with files generated by other softs (iMovie for example, which
> > generate a very complicated .mov), it doesn't work every time :-(
> > so I don't trust the aperture mode...
> >
> > bye
> >

> I'm not quite sure if all of this is needed for QuickTime?

  My assumption all along has been that it is usually container's
job to store things like SAR, DAR, etc. But since DV is both
a container and a codec format I have nothing against moving
SAR initialization to libavcodec. Unless somebody tells me
its a stupid idea.

> Using the command that herve posted would create a video that the
> QuickTime player recognizes as 16:9, but ffmpeg reading does not.

  Right. And that's because QuickTime gives precedence to the DV
metadata and not the container, ffmpeg is the other way around.
I'm not really sure which way I prefer.

Thanks,
Roman.