[Ffmpeg-devel] alsa input / output

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Mar 24 12:01:08 CET 2007

Hello,
On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 05:55:22AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 11:52:32AM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > impossible (arts, esd) (or in the case of OSS having an outdated and
> > often broken interface/drivers).
>
> For particular warped viewpoints where "outdated interface" means unix
> design as opposed to windows design, then yes...

I didn't check up too well, but OSS multichannel (esp. providing maybe a
channel / suggested speaker position mapping) and passthrough support
in MPlayer at least is a bit lacking. Nothing that couldn't be fixed
with at worst some additional ioctls, possibly they are even already
specified. Which then would only leave the broken- or incompleteness of
the linux drivers as main drawback.
This hasn't anything to do with the design, just with what it actually
does currently, and instead of getting better it is constantly getting
worse - at least that is my impression...

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger