[FFmpeg-devel] Fwd: svn:externals using git submodules

Andy Parkins andyparkins
Tue May 1 13:15:06 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 2007 May 01, Ismail D?nmez wrote:

> I've done this by hand as a proof of concept I suspect it would need loads
> of work in git-svn to do it properly.  However, I thought I'd mention as
> part of my "success with submodules" reports.

Please don't consider this as saying that git is ready-to-go with submodule
support.  It was for the interest of the git developers rather than ffmpeg
developers.  ffmpeg just happened to be a repository I was familiar with and
already had.

This report was merely me doing by hand what git might do in the future.  The
user interface for submodules in git does not exist yet.  It can be made to
work if you're willing to do things by hand (as I was), but unless you're
interested in git development itself, it's not a feature that is prime-time
just yet.

Maybe soon.  When it is, you can be certain I'll bring it up on the ffmpeg
list :-)

Andy
--
Dr Andy Parkins, M Eng (hons), MIET