[FFmpeg-devel] [Ffmpeg-devel] SVN dump

Trent Piepho xyzzy
Fri May 4 07:39:51 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2 May 2007, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 03:23:25AM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 May 2007, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > i disagree of course, no public branch may be hacked it doesnt matter if
> > > its for new features or something else
> >
> > Not branch, but repository.  Each developer has a number of repositories
> > that are basically personal sandboxes that come and go.  Take a look at the
> > list at http://linuxtv.org/hg/ Only the first two are the official
> > repositories.  I delete respositories I create all the time, and so do
> > other developers, and it's not a problem.
>
> it depends on how you define problem, and of course on what is in the repo
> what uoti talked about was randomizing a public branch before it would be
> merged into the main branch, this is definitly not ok
> deleting your sandbox repo which just contained a failed experiment is
> a different issue ...

Think of developers pushing their patches to their repositories as the
equivalent of sending them to a mailing list.  You wouldn't say the once
someone posts the patch to the public ffmpeg list that it must never be
deleted or changed, and all problems must be fixed by mailing another patch
to be applied on top of the first one.

After a patch is pulled out of a developer's repository and into the main
one, no one cares about the developer's repository anymore.  After you
apply a patch to svn, surely you don't are care about the copy in your
inbox anymore.

> we still would have a single main repository and everyone would have write
> access to that and in that case problems _will_ happen as there are far
> fewer steps involved, its just local commit + push and only a single person
> sees the change before its in the main tree

I think you'd be giving up one of the biggest benefits of using Mercurial
or git that way.