[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg logo

Robert Swain robert.swain
Fri May 4 17:36:14 CEST 2007

On 4 May 2007, at 15:48, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com> writes:
>> On 4 May 2007, at 13:39, herve.flores wrote:
>>> you seemed to like the zig-zag and somebody (I don't remember who)
>>> wanted the zig-zig in perspective, there it is:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Could you angle the zigzag the other way? It looks wrong angled out
>> to me and I think it would look better angled in towards the text.
>
> Personally I prefer the plain flat variant.  The 3D angled version
> looks good and all that, it's just that it doesn't work as well as a
> small icon or in print using only a two or three colours.

Well for a small icon you wouldn't have the text, or you'd place the
text below the zigzag I suppose (to make it more square). Besides,
when is FFmpeg going to have icons?

> I like the zigzag as a concept since it has a technical significance
> that will be appreciated by those who know the details, yet is an
> easily recognisable, and fairly unique, pattern even for those who do
> not.  The contending fast-forward symbol, at least to me, has a
> stronger connection to a player than a codec.

Agreed. People may argue that users won't know what it means, but I'd
be inclined to say that they don't need to know, they can just see it
as a pretty green zigzag else look at an FAQ that explains its
meaning. It's a striking logo regardless of whether people know from
where it came.

Rob