[FFmpeg-devel] Optimizations for Cell Broadband Engine

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon May 7 15:01:07 CEST 2007

Hi

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 02:30:30PM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> There's been several people on this mailing list wondering if there
> were any plans to write optimizations for Cell Broadband Engine, with
> not much luck since now.
> A few days ago, I've been contacted by a person working at IBM who's
> offering to give one PS3 (maybe more than one, I don't know) to
> someone who would be interested to write such optimizations.
> In case any of you is interested, please contact me, and I'll forward
> your application to this person.

can the ps3 be connected to the net?
can sshd be installed on it?

if yes to both, then i would suggest that these be done and everyone
who is interrested from ffmpeg/x264/xine/mplayer/xvid/vlc/...
could get an account to port, test and benchmark their code on it

that of course doesnt awnser who would physically get the ps3 or admin
it

Breaking DRM is a little like attempting to break through a door even
though the window is wide open and the only thing in the house is a bunch
of things you dont want and which you would get tomorrow for free anyway