[FFmpeg-devel] Optimizations for Cell Broadband Engine

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon May 7 20:23:09 CEST 2007

Hi

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 09:55:20AM -0700, John Kelley wrote:
[...]
> > > if yes to both, then i would suggest that these be done and everyone
> > > who is interrested from ffmpeg/x264/xine/mplayer/xvid/vlc/...
> > > could get an account to port, test and benchmark their code on it
> > >
> > > that of course doesnt awnser who would physically get the ps3 or admin
> > > it
> >
> > Given IBM's size and interest on cell being widely used, I do think
> > that they can ship one or more PS3 to each interested developer, given
> > that it's a well known and committed developer. If you or any other
> > core hacker is interested, just let them know.

well i think that there are more people who would want to try a little bit
of optimization work, maybe a few hours or so but they wont feel commited
enough to the task to ask ibm for a ps3 ...

[...]
> We've been working on some general optimisations in #ps3dev on
> irc.freenode.net, so far we have an optimised CSC algo that runs at
> around 700fps at 720P using one SPU and also a bilinear scaler that
> runs at around 70fps at 720P right now (needs some more optimisations)
> and I've been working on an optimised 8x8 iDCT for the SPU but so far
> have only had the spare time to implement the row operations but not
> the cloumns.

dont forget to submit paches to lavc and libswscale :)

> The problem with developing over the net on the PS3 is that developing
> with SPUs can lock up the machine under certain circumstances leaving
> you with a PS3 that needs to be hard rebooted.

:(

it is not once nor twice but times without number that the same ideas make
their appearance in the world. -- Aristotle