[FFmpeg-devel] Why 'You can only build one library type at once on MinGW'?

Zuxy Meng zuxy.meng
Wed May 9 11:21:48 CEST 2007

Hi,

2007/5/9, Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux at mediaxim.be>:
> Zuxy Meng wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> No they're not.
> >
> > Any details?

> >> No, PIC is usually not required. PIC just guarantees the dso can be
> >> relocated to any address. Without that its not possible to run when
> >> there are conflicts of address ranges.

> >> When using the libraries in Visual-Studio, you need the dll *and* a
> >> static lib that contains just the exported symbols.
> >>
> >> If the .a obtained is bigger than the dll, then its a 'normal' static
> >> lib and the dll is useless. If it's small, it can be used to link to the
> >> dll, but not on its own.
> >
> > Sure. Under each directory I got a .a, a .dll.a (import lib) and a
> > dll. I don't see there're any problems.
>
> It would indeed be nifty to be able to build both shared and static
> together on mingw. But there is more to test: does make install work
> correctly? Does linking to the .a work correctly in VisualStudio? Ditto
> shared?

For shared libraries, make install on mingw never works, regardless
whether we build static and shared libraries together or not: dlls
gets installed under $PREFIX/lib, while it should go to $PREFIX/bin;
dll.a doesn't get installed altogether.

I don't have a VS for checking right now, but IIRC the VS linker can't
recognize .a (while mingw binutils can work well with .lib), not to
mention .dll.a. You have to generate an import library manually by
using the 'lib' program. Again this has nothing to do with
simultaneous building of both static and shared libraries.

BTW: I still wonder why objects (.o) for shared and static libraries
differ in Windows. Can u explain a little bit to me or point me a URL
explaining this?
--
Zuxy
Beauty is truth,