[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed May 9 14:58:19 CEST 2007

Hi

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:23:20AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 9 mai 07 ? 02:51, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
>
> > Hi
> >
> > i would like to change ffmpeg from svn to git
> >

> Yeah, it certainly seems to be smarter than SVN in most ways. After
> all, the migration to SVN happened with the death of MPHQ1, so there
> hasn't been a thoughough discussion about the pros and cons of SVN.

are you complaining against the cvs->svn move? :)

> > disadvantages:
> > * blame/annotate behave somewhat different and is slower if used with
> >   some options like -C -C
> >
> > * all the web interfaces to git ive seen suck, nothing looks remotely
> >   as sane as viewvc
> >
> > * are there more? probably, comments welcome
>
> One thing that seems important for me is to make sure that GIT
> clients exist on other OS than just Linux. Last time I heard (a long
> time ago), GIT had only Linux clients, but my memory is quite fuzzy,

yes, i agree its important that git clients exist on all major OSs
that is mac osx, freebsd, linux, mingw or cygwin

for mingw see http://repo.or.cz/w/git/mingw.git

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates