[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris
Wed May 9 15:09:16 CEST 2007

Hi,

G?bor Farkas schreef:
> Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten? wrote:
>
>> Cogito on the other hand last time I looked used some GNUisms in the
>> scripts, so didn't work at 100% on non-GNU systems. Unfortunately,
>> Cogito *is* a time saver most of the times, and missing it is a big
>> annoying, at least to me.
>>

> well, cogito is slowly phased out afaik:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=git&m=117698810419596

Indeed, as far as I can remember, it was intended as a simplified
frontend for GIT. Now, GIT itself has the
necessary simplified commands built in. I think one of the things that
initially were needed for using GIT was
knowing about the "index" and the commands reflected this. Nowadays, you
can use git in a way similar to
svn or cvs, by just knowing: clone, diff, commit, add, log, blame,
branch, pull.

I initially tried Cogito, but never really actively used it, as I had
several issues with it:
- not everything could be done with cogito, which is quite normal, as it
was a simplification layer, but
I recall that even _I_ seemed to miss stuff, and I was just a total
newbie to git
- the repository formats differed in some sense, they used compatible
databases, but I vaguely remember that
the way branches were done was different
- they also used different names and terminology, which made it
confusing to me

I would have liked it if it had been a strict subset of the git
commands. Just the basic stuff like diff, commit, add,
log available under a different name f.e. would have been useful for
beginners imo, as bash-completion wouldn't have
been cluttered with all the more advanced git-commands (as it is now).

With friendly regards,
Takis