[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris
Wed May 9 15:12:43 CEST 2007

Hi,

Michael Niedermayer schreef:
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:23:20AM +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
>
>> Le 9 mai 07 ? 02:51, Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
>>

>>> i would like to change ffmpeg from svn to git
>>>

>> Yeah, it certainly seems to be smarter than SVN in most ways. After
>> all, the migration to SVN happened with the death of MPHQ1, so there
>> hasn't been a thoughough discussion about the pros and cons of SVN.
>>

> are you complaining against the cvs->svn move? :)
>

>>> disadvantages:
>>> * blame/annotate behave somewhat different and is slower if used with
>>>   some options like -C -C
>>>
>>> * all the web interfaces to git ive seen suck, nothing looks remotely
>>>   as sane as viewvc
>>>
>>> * are there more? probably, comments welcome
>>>
>> One thing that seems important for me is to make sure that GIT
>> clients exist on other OS than just Linux. Last time I heard (a long
>> time ago), GIT had only Linux clients, but my memory is quite fuzzy,
>>

> yes, i agree its important that git clients exist on all major OSs
> that is mac osx, freebsd, linux, mingw or cygwin
>
> for mingw see http://repo.or.cz/w/git/mingw.git

I just tried it on CygWin and that appeared to work fine (including
gitk) and was even included in the default
CygWin package database. Although that binary segfaulted here :-) The
current release worked fine though.

I can't thoroughly test the MinGW port as there is no http protocol
support in that ported version yet. And unfortunately,
the university firewall blocks access through the git protocol.

With friendly regards,
Takis