[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Robert Swain robert.swain
Thu May 10 15:08:47 CEST 2007

On 10 May 2007, at 12:13, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> There is now a git repo at git://git.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg tracking
> FFmpeg svn.  A gitweb interface is at http://git.mplayerhq.hu/.
> I will try to get git-http and cvs access working tonight.

$ time git clone git://git.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg
remote: Generating pack...
remote: Done counting 45901 objects.
remote: Deltifying 45901 objects.
remote:  100% (45901/45901) done
Indexing 45901 objects.
remote: Total 45901 (delta 35859), reused 45762 (delta 35743)
100% (45901/45901) done
Resolving 35859 deltas.
100% (35859/35859) done
Checking files out...
100% (602/602) done

real    3m44.084s
user    0m11.778s
sys     0m54.586s

During the Indexing phase I was getting about 120-130kB/s downstream
traffic and the Resolving phase ate one core of my Core Duo 1.83GHz
(with 2GB ram, if that matters) for a minute or thereabouts. By
comparison:

$ time svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk

[...]

real    0m23.950s
user    0m2.122s
sys     0m2.213s

And the resulting size of the checkouts:
git: 29,772,212 bytes
svn: 24,744,298 bytes

Though I think I am to understand that the git checkout contains the
entire history, and the svn checkout does not, right?

Rob