[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Thu May 10 23:36:25 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 23:02 +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> What's supposed to happen if I "git commit
> libavcodec/ppc/h264_altivec.c" on a modified file (which I just did a
> few minutes ago)?
>
> Is it supposed to commit my changes to my local copy, (so that I can
> make incremental changes to the code I have in my local copy), or is
> it supposed to propagate these changes to mplayerhq's git/svn
> repository?

It makes changes in your local copy.
When you initialize a repository by making a copy of an external one,
the default setup is to have at least two branches: an "origin" branch
which mirrors what the external repository has, and a local version that
you work on (you can create more local branches if you need them, or
fetch more remote branches).
"git commit" commits to your current branch, which after a normal clone
should be the automatically created local branch.

If you had used git-svn you could send changes corresponding to your
local commits to the svn repository using "git-svn dcommit". However
that won't work directly if you just cloned the git repository. I don't
know whether the git setup on mplayerhq allows you to push changes to
the git repository there somehow (probably not if it's supposed to
reflect the "official" svn state now).

> The documentation I read about git seems to indicate that it's
> supposed to update mplayerhq's repository, but gitweb doesn't agree
> with that. Plus, it's rather strange that it hasn't prompt me with any

You probably misunderstood something.
The basic idea is that you always create commits in local branches;
pushing them to others or others pulling them from you is separate.