[FFmpeg-devel] Inline ASM vs. Intrinsics

Thorsten Jordan tjordan
Wed May 9 09:39:21 CEST 2007

Hello developers,

i am wondering what do you think about the MMX/SSE intrinsics that can
be used at least with gcc (and maybe also with intels compiler).

My question is if they are not used because of performance or if they
are a big NoNo because of some other reason.

I know that by using inline asm one has most control over what is going
on. However with intrinsics the code is sometimes shorter and easier to
read, although recent compilers are rather good in code generation. The
intrinsics have one big advantage: you can use the very same code f?r
x86-32 and x86-64 and on the latter the 8 extra registers are used
automatically.

So i am just curious what do you think, if you like, add some comments.
Thanks!

--
Best regards, Thorsten