[FFmpeg-devel] Why 'You can only build one library type at once on MinGW'?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat May 12 02:58:33 CEST 2007

Hi

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 04:36:36PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2007, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > and to get this totally off topic disscussion a little back to ffmpeg,
> > i wish i could get gcc to make all symbols which arent in a specific set
> > of headers "library-wide static" anyone knows a simple and clean trick
> > to do that?
>
> Ulrich Drepper has a great paper on how to write DSOs that goes into this:
> http://people.redhat.com/drepper/dsohowto.pdf

ive not read that and i wont, ive read enough from this guy to know that
id learn more by watching excel saga than by reading what he wrote ...

i still have nightmares from the totally broken PT_GNU_STACK mess ...

> The most obvious is just to make things static when you can and try to
> organize your code to make as much static as you can.
>
> gcc has a visibility attribute that you can assign to functions and globals to
> make them library-wide static or non-library wide static.  There is also the
> gcc -fvisibility option that changes the default.  So you can make the default
> hidden and override the symbols you want your library to export, or do it the
> other way around.

i want the ones in the public header to be vissible and the rest to be not
so i just hmm  hmmm ...... don tell me they didnt have an option for the
case 99.99% of the users of gcc would want but rather some odd feature which
requires to change the whole source?

Democracy is the form of government in which you can choose your dictator