[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat May 12 14:18:38 CEST 2007

Hi

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 09:54:39AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 04:00:24AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> > Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > * all the web interfaces to git ive seen suck, nothing looks remotely
> > >   as sane as viewvc
> >
> > Probably asking for the specific features the git people could lead at
> > least to some directions. I'm using gitweb for tracking the lscube
> > projects and isn't _that_ ugly (yes I had seen something better).
>
> what i disslike on gitweb most is that its unintuitive, viewvc is alot more
> intuitive ...
> then how do i view a diff for a specific change and file, if i click on
> "history" for the specific file and then on "commitdiff" it shows a
> diff covering many files, if i click on "diff to current" it shows a diff
> against head ...
>
> then what about colored diffs, what about colored source code
>
> then blame, just shows the sha1 checksums of the commits but not the authors
> and i suspect it also doesnt follow copies and moves ...
> now who on earth cares about the sha1 checksum?! the silly gitweb should
> show the authors and maybe a short date and if the user then clicks on it
> show the corresponding diff/sha1/...
>
> then i dont see any help which would explain what a "blob, commitdiff, tree,
> ... is"

btw, cant viewvc be run over the git-cvs wraper? or does it need direct
access to the RCS files?

Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into
despotisms. -- Aristotle