[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpegs future version control system

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Sun May 13 02:15:59 CEST 2007

On Sun, 13 May 2007 01:27:53 +0200
Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 10:15:24PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> [...]
> > > and i suspect it also doesnt follow copies and moves ...
> > > now who on earth cares about the sha1 checksum?! the silly gitweb should
> > > show the authors and maybe a short date and if the user then clicks on it
> > > show the corresponding diff/sha1/...
> >
> > The sha1 checksum defines the commit.  It's the equivalent of revision
> > numbers in cvs and svn.
>
> i know but i dont remember ~10000 sha1 values, the svn revission gives you a
> hint of when something happened and in addition viewvc shows the author ...

BTW, if we switch to git, what should ffmpeg print in it's disclamer
instead of "FFmpeg version SVN-r9010" ?
I suppose printing sha1 won't be very useful...
It would be nice if git could use something similar to a revision number
in addition to the sha1 (just like what Mercurial does).
(and yes, I know this is not git-devel list... I may post there when
I will have listed everything I don't like about git)

> > > then i dont see any help which would explain what a "blob, commitdiff, tree,
> > > ... is"
> >
> > There is ample git documentation elsewhere.  I don't expect a web
> > interface like gitweb or viewvc to include full documentation on the
> > underlying tools.
>
> neither do i, what i expect is that a web interface contains enough
> information so that it can be used and as its using "blob" "commitdiff"
> and so on their meaning should be exlpained

I agree that "blob" is not very obvious (except for git developpers).
Something as simple as "file" would probably be better.

Aurel