[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] extern "C" usage

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon May 14 11:10:24 CEST 2007

Hi

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 10:45:38AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 07:37:19PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >> besides the "BOFH because we can" attitude what would we gain by
> >> adding new and class with the intent to break C++ applications?
> >
> > Removing the illusion that C++ is officially "supported" would be the
> > only real gain I can see.
>
> What about pointing the available bindings in a documentation section?
> This way people using perl, python, ruby, C++, lua, java, whatever would
> avoid problems and we would avoid to handle them.

we already link to some pascal headers in the FAQ
so yes iam in favor of that, but we should not add things which we
havnt checked a little, as endorsing bad implemented language bindings
is bad
that is, the language binding should make all functionality available
and be clean and simple
(stuff calling the ffmpeg executable or compiling the main ffmpeg executable
as a dll for example doesnt qualify)

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible. -- Voltaire