[FFmpeg-devel] svn -> git step 2

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon May 14 11:58:18 CEST 2007

Hi

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 11:45:16AM +0200, Aurelien Jacobs wrote:
> On Mon, 14 May 2007 03:04:13 +0200
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > thanks to mans excelent work, we have a read only git repo of ffmpeg on
> > mphq, and gitweb is working too
> >
> > next steps which should be done are
> >
> > 1. we need a dummy/sandbox git repository on mphq and developers need to have
> >    write access to that
> >
> > we need that dummy repo so people now and later can experiment/play with
> > git push to mphq without putting the main repository at risk
> > we also need it so we can ensure everything else (see below) is working
> > before we switch from svn to git
> >

> > 2. commits with log message, diffstat, author and diff should be
> >    automatically mailed to ffmpeg-svnlog, this should be setup for the
> >    dummy repo to ensure that it is working before we switch
>
> Right, but maybe the mails from the test repo should be send to a
> different address/list than ffmpeg-svnlog to avoid confusion ?

iam not disagreeing, iam fine with either a new list and fmpeg-svnlog
what is important is that they are sent to a public mailiglist so
whoever pushes a change to the test repo can see on the list if it worked
as expected

> > 3. we need to setup a pre"push" (whatever the correct term is) check
> >    script which rejects trailing whitespace and tabs
> >
> > 4. we need a short how to text describing the common git operations needed
> >    similar to the relevant parts of DOCS/tech/svn-howto.txt from mplayer
> >    this isnt really critical but would be nice to have ...
> >    none of the existing git howtos seem to cover much beyond
> >    pull and play with your local repo
>
> There is at least one more step:
>  - Including libswscale properly in the git history (and I suppose this
>    won't be the easiest step).

yes, though i wouldnt call that critical, we could survive without it too

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates